Creamy Rice Risotto
- CKD non-dialysis
- 3/4 cup onion
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 cups Arborio rice
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1-1/2 cups sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigianino reggiano cheese
- Mince onion and thyme leaves.
- Add broth to a large pot, cover and bring to a boil. Turn off the heat and keep covered after it boils. Set aside.
- White the broth is heating up, in a second large pot heat one tablespoon of the butter. Add the onion and cook on low heat until soft and translucent. Do not brown the onions.
- Turn the heat up to medium. Add rice and cook until lightly toasted, 2-3 minutes, mixing to ensure the rice does not burn.
- Add the wine and cook for a few minutes until most of the wine has evaporated.
- Using a ladle, add half of the hot vegetable broth. Cover the pot containing the rice/broth mixture, leave on medium and cook for 10 minutes. Check occasionally to ensure the rice is not sputtering, if so lower the heat.
- Add the mushrooms and remaining broth. Mix and cover for 10 minutes.
- Take lid off the pot. Shut off the heat and add the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter, thyme and Parmigianino cheese. Mix thoroughly and serve.